In the UK you do not need a driving licence to ride a quad bike / ATV off-road on private land. If you are just riding off-road you do not need to tax or register your ATV / UTV. However, there is an ‘off-road register’ where you can record the details of your quad, which can help the police find it if it is ever stolen.

If a tax payment is required, the tax class is dependent upon how you use your quad bike

  • Limited use tax class for bikes used on the road
  • Agricultural machine class for bikes not licensed for road use.
    If you are going to drive your vehicle on the road, you will need to have a full car license or a category B1 license if it was issued before January 1997.

If you want to carry passengers, do not exceed the limit of the number of right seats. Only carry passengers if the ATV / UTV is safe to do so.

In the UK, drivers and passengers in England, Wales and Scotland do not have to wear a crash helmet however it is strongly recommended for your own safety. In Northern Ireland, you must wear a crash helmet whilst riding if not you can be fined up to £500.

Agricultural Quad Bikes

If your vehicle is for agriculture, horticulture and forestry it needs to be registered as a light agricultural vehicle.

An agricultural quad bike that is used on the road does not need an MOT, but it does need to be registered and licensed for road use. It also must have a number plate and have third party insurance.

The agricultural vehicle will also need lights if being used after dark, which come as standard on all Polaris vehicles, as well as the option to buy additional genuine Polaris accessories for your preferred customisation.

Vehicles homologated for agricultural, horticultural and forestry use do not require you to pay vehicle tax.

It is important to check the legal obligations for drivers on the UK Government website to make sure your vehicle is correctly taxed.